Closed or Expired Job Posting This job posting is closed or has expired and is no longer open for applications.
LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT MANAGER
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION:
The Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring the successful implementation of the ‘Towards an inclusive local development in rural areas of Zarqa governorate’ project in Jordan.
This is an extremely exciting position for an experienced project manager with proven operational and budgetary management skills, who is committed to the improvement of the situation of marginalised persons in Jordan, within a dynamic and vibrant non-profit organisation.
The ‘Towards an inclusive local development in rural areas of Zarqa governorate’ project is a 30-month project that will be implemented from April 2013 to September 2015. This project builds on the results of earlier projects led in Dlail municipality.
The project seeks to ensure that Persons with disabilities (PwDs) and their families in Halabat and New Bereen municipalities (Zarqa governorate) have an improved access to essential services and participate in inclusive multi-stakeholder local development processes.
The project is structured around 4 key components:
1. Bringing together representatives from local authorities, government ministries, service providers and civil society to assess the situation of PwDs and implement actions responding to their needs and demands.
2. Supporting PwDs and family members to express their needs and demands effectively within local development dynamics, and to develop expanded mutual support networks.
3. Ensuring that PwDs benefit from a greater access to essential services through improved information and referral mechanisms, and in-home rehabilitation services.
4. Sharing lessons learned from the pilot experience with stakeholders from other sectors and regions, allowing for the potential duplication of the action.
The Project Manager will be responsible for:
• Ensuring the overall implementation of the project according to workplans developed within the project Steering Committee
• Providing direct leadership for the planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities
• Dialoguing with national, governorate and local stakeholders involved in the project.
Specific responsibilities of the Project Manager include:
1) Project management:
• Plan and implement project activities; co-ordinate between the project’s various stakeholders in line with the strategic direction of the overall project
• Implement the project monitoring system and ensure the continuous monitoring of activities
• Manage the project’s financial, logistical and material resources
• Develop and implement formal partnership agreements
2) Project coordination
• Lead strategic and operational meetings of HI team with project partners
• Coordinate the work of HI field officer and partner staff
• Develop, implement and monitor formal partnership agreement with project partners
3) Internal and external reporting:
• Develop and implement data collection tools and mechanisms for HI and partners on activity implementation
• Submit periodic internal project activity updates (activity and budget follow up)
• Prepare formal activity reports for international funding agencies according to defined schedules and requirements
• The position is based in Amman, but will require frequent travel to Zarqa governorate
• Ability to work under pressure in an unstable and changing environment
• Flexibility, ability to take initiatives, find solutions and facilitate decision-making within the frame of the project’s governance
• Ability to work in a team / Group leadership
An experienced, bilingual (English/Arabic) project manager with proven experience in managing complex international cooperation projects.
• Excellent management, organization and coordination skills.
• Ability to work independently without constant supervision.
• Excellent communication skills (internal within the team and external with various national and regional stakeholders)
• Excellent interpersonal skills, dynamic and motivated; ability to work within a cohesive team; oriented to solutions.
• Strong diplomacy and good negotiating skills.
• High level written and oral presentation skills in English and Arabic (essential)
• Flexibility and ability to respond to variable job demands of an international NGO
Education and experience:
• Level of education : Degree in management or social sciences
• At least 5 years of experience in project management, with proven skills in planning, monitoring and evaluation
• Extensive experience in budgetary management
• Significant experience managing funding contracts and preparing reports for donor agencies
• Extensive experience working with stakeholders from a variety of levels (e.g. community members to government representatives)
• Experience working for an international NGO
• Experience in human resources management
• Experience working at grassroots level with civil society organisations
• Experience working on advocacy campaigns
• Studies and/or experience in human rights, law or policy related to disability or similar
• Knowledge of gender, disability or human rights principles
Management or Social Sciences
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organization with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage
its projects and implement its actions and social mission.
Handicap International is working regionally through its Regional Programmer in the Middle East since 2002.
Through its permanent missions in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and the occupied Palestinian territories, it is currently implementing directly several projects and actions, together with its several partners, in different areas.
The objectives of the implemented projects are focusing on the essential and priority needs identified for each context and vary for the support to and empowerment of the disability movement, capacity building of the Disabled Peoples’ Organisations, local inclusive development, support to the development and enforcement of necessary policies, reinforcement of the accessibility and quality of the delivery of services for people with disabilities and in situation of vulnerability, emergency response in time of crises and post crises, landmine risk education and victims assistance, preparedness to disaster for inclusive responses etc.
Through two regional projects working with and through the 5 country mission and in Syria and Yemen -through partner organisations-, Handicap International works for the strengthening for the advocacy
capacities of the disability movement and the proactive monitoring of the situations and evolutions, for the rights and equal opportunities of persons with disabilities in the Middle East.
- Job Location: Amman, Jordan
- Company Industry: Community/Social Services/and Nonprofit
- Requirements : Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role: Management
- Employment Status: Full time
- Employment Type: Employee
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Career Level: Management
- Years of Experience: Min: 5
- Degree: Bachelor's degree